Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Our Moment of Joy

Celebrate people! This much awaited moment of triumph for DEMOCRACY & the people of Pakistan is totally matchless. Who knows how BRUTUS/ZAHAK (of Shahnama) will stomach it, and how Zardari & Nawaz Sharif will screw up their mandates later (hope I am wrong). At least in this moment, we are alive and proud as Pakistanis. At least in this moment, we can trust Pakistani Army to do what it should have done all along, and not disrespect the will of the people.
I am so ecstatic in this moment, despite the daily problems and stresses of life, I can't compare it to anything except perhaps the moment Pakistan won the Cricket World Cup in 1992, or the moment Javaid Miandad hit his famous sixer in Sharjah. Those were such genuine opportunities to be proud as Pakistanis! And incredibly only a decade and a half ago....
Last night reminded me of the elections of 1970, when I was not eligible to vote, but had enjoyed the election transmission on Pakistan Television with the whole gang in Peshawar. That transmission was moderated by the inimitable Shuaib Hashmi and Obaidullah Aleem. Yesterday and last night, I watched the Internet transmission of Geo with the same excitement, and lo and behold, who brought me most of the news: a talented former student Javaid Iqbal who had caught the acting bug while working on his Masters and who I had only half-heartedly encouraged in that direction. Now he is one of the faces of Geo news. And I am proud that he found a way to fulfill himself.
I hope and pray our hopes, this long-suffering country's hopes, are also fulfilled. Ameen!

No comments: